Monday, October 10, 2005

Sweet boy

Kellen was so tired tonight...I worked kinda' late and didn't get to day care until right at 6. We swung by the chicken place and picked up chicken, corn on the cob (for he and Matt..my jaw would revolt if I were to try that) and some rolls, and he fussed the entire time he was in the car. Made it home and right to the dinner table, and he didn't even eat his roll - if that tells you anything!

He threw a fit after we cleaned off his hands and face and I said that it was time for bed...forget even thinking about a bath tonight. So I changed his clothes and read him a bedtime story and asked him if he wanted me to rock him, which is something that I haven't actually done in quite some time. To my surprise he actually said yes. And to my surprise I realized that I had wanted him to say yes.

I say that he was throwing fits, but it was so much of the tired fits that it really didn't make my angry-upset...they were the kind of fits that it was actually easy to stay calm, speak in a calm voice, help him calm down, try to help him express and verbalize his feelings and help him understand what he was feeling, etc. Those kind don't happen all that often.

Anyway, he laid his head on my shoulder, wrapped his arms around me, with one arm patted my back and with the other, reached his hand up into my hair. He sometimes likes to play with my hair but tonight...it was almost a death-grip. It didn't hurt, but it was very much a security issue. He didn't want me to go anywhere. I just rocked him, stroked his hair and patted his back. It had been too long since we had allowed ourselves to have a special time like that. I miss this! After a little while I laid him down in bed and he actually asked me to lay down with him, which he almost never does - he simply knows that Mommy doesn't lay down with him. I told him, "No. Mommy is not going to lay down with Kellen. Kellen go night-night."

To this he replied, "Daddy lay down Kellen."

Well, I guess he knows which one of us is the sucker, huh? "No Kellen. Daddy is not going to lay down with you. Kellen night-night. I love you. Night-night."

He's such a sweetie!

No comments:

Post a Comment