Monday, October 03, 2005

Drugs, drugs, & more drugs

So I had my check-up with the migraine doctor today and he wasn't happy with the number of circles on my calendar. I'm pleased that I'm not popping pills 4 out of 7 days of the week to treat an oncoming migraine, but he had really been hoping for 1-2 circles for the entire month - tops. I have 5 circles with 6 pills taken and one already this month (yes I know it's only the 3rd). I told his nurse that he wouldn't be too happy about it! And I'm still losing weight, despite forcing Blue Bell ice cream almost every night and chocolate when I get the urge - yes I know...what a horrible side effect to have, right? But to have virtually no appetite really does STINK! And to have to force myself to eat one of my most beloved of all foods...well, that's just pure craziness! There are; however, some days when food does actually sound and taste somewhat good - those are nice days...hmmm...

Anyway, back to reality. We chat and he decides to double my dosage of medicine. We had started out on a really small dose anyway (50 mg) when the normal dose for migraine prevention is 100-200 mg. He told me that the vast majority of his patients are able to hold off their migraines with doses of 25-50 mg, but that my migraines were just more severe than that and would need a higher dosage to regulate and normalize. Of his 50 or so patients on this medication, ~6-10 are on doses of the recommended level...I'll be one of those guys now. What I understood is that he wanted to get them under control (i.e. 1 or so a month) and then slowly back the dosage off to see if my body would/could tolerate a lesser dose without more frequent migraines. We shall see!

Jaw-wise things seem to be progressing rather nicely. I can open my jaw and entertain those around me with a nice percussion sound, which now no longer puts me in tears, it's just annoying and uncomfortable. Improvement, improvement! Even if this takes 6 months to a year or longer to improve (i.e. popping/clicking to go away) I think that I can handle it. It will be if the TMJ doctor tells me that it (popping/clicking) will never go away that I will have a major issue and Matt and I will have to crunch the numbers on the surgery costs... I'm scheduled to go back to him next Friday, so we'll see how that goes.

Ok - enough about me..Onto more fun things - Kellen!

So he was sitting on the potty tonight - YEAH! He didn't actually go pee-pee, but sat there for quite some time trying. During this time he was playing with himself (this really is G-rated, honest). I guess it's a fun thing for little boys to do? Wouldn't know, of course. Then he starts pulling at the skin and makes the top part disappear - looks at me and says, "Where penis go?" and grins, just like he's playing peek-a-boo with any other toy of his.

I had to bite my bottom lip to keep from laughing hysterically at this, since he wouldn't have understood why this would have been any funnier than any other game of peek-a-boo, right? "I don't know Kellen, where is it?"

He lets go. "There it is! Kellen penis!"

Oh my gosh can he get any funnier?!? It was a riot! And this occurred after we had a discussion about peeing in the potty rather than on his VeggieTale stuffed animal. He wanted to hold it on the potty with him and I told him that he couldn't because if he pee-peed, he might get some pee pee on the VeggieTale. He looked at me with a mischevious grin (oh man are we in trouble, 'cause when he looks at me like that, he looks JUST LIKE HIS DADDY!) held the VeggieTale in front of him,

"Pee pee VeggieTale?"

"No Kellen. We don't pee on the VeggieTale or our other toys. We pee pee in the potty."

"Oh. Oh-tay." He slowly reaches to put the VeggieTale on the back of the toilet. Quick grin and then, quick-as-a-flash, the VeggieTale is right back in front of him.

"Pee pee VeggieTale?"

"No Kellen. We don't pee on the VeggieTale. We pee pee in the potty. If you don't put your VeggieTale on the top of the potty, Mommy will take it away."

"No! My VeggieTale. Kellen put up VeggieTale." And it goes to the appropriate spot. At least for the time being.

And now I'm realizing that he can get off of the potty by himself. Hmmm. This may not cause a problem after he's peed, but what about the other??? How do I stop him from getting off of the potty after that's occurred without making a gigantic mess? Oh man...so much to learn. I thought that the biggest part of the learning curve with kids was over - I think I was sorely mistaken on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment