Sunday, September 23, 2007

Hurry up and wait

Saturday's recap:

So I was trying to get both Kellen and Tatum, along with myself, ready to leave the house for a road trip yesterday to Fairfield to see my buddy who has decided she and her husband are supposed to now be in Arkansas for him to preach...:) (I'm so excited for them but sad that she's moving that far away!)...My goal was to leave my house between 9-10...and I was doing OK on that goal until...

I got a phone call from the casting agent telling me that Kellen was for sure going to be in the video, she just didn't know if he was going to be a principle or not. She told me that they would determine if he would be a principle based on how he and the kid he was up against did when they got there in the morning. Which, she continued, was going to be at 5:00 AM. YIKES! Seriously? Trying to start a shoot with 2-4 year olds at 5:00 AM? OH man. Needless to say, this phone call changed by plans ever so slightly. She then goes on to say that I'll receive a call no later than 2:00 PM from the wardrobe consultant, who will instruct me on the types of clothes that Kellen will need for his part. Um...ok, but I won't even be at the house at that point in time. So, I decided to pull all of his"cool" t-shirts, shorts (denim, black, cargo, etc.) and pants and pack them just in case. I didn't think I would need solid color t-shirts or what we refer to as his play or sleep shorts (gym shorts), so I didn't bother to pack those.

At this point in time, it's WAY past my "goal" departure time, Matt thinks I'm crazy for trying to still make the over 1 1/2 hour trip to Fairfield and then the over 2 hour trip to Conroe to try and get this ALL done today but hey...when has craziness ever stopped me before?!? :)

At about 11, I finally get them all loaded up, and Matt had put the bags and stuff that we needed in the van. Nursing side-stop in Buffalo aside, we had a very good trip. Matt had burned the music that we were supposed to be practicing onto a CD, so we have travel music and we're practicing our songs (which are really fun, by the way)...and Kellen was getting them pretty well!

As I'm pulling into Fairfield, I get the phone call from the wardrobe person...and Kellen needs solid color t-shirts and gym shorts for the shoot,preferably turquise, if I have any. See above for the listing of clothes that I packed and rationale for an explanation of why my stress level jumped about a million points during and immediately after this phone call.

Anyway, we're in Fairfield, have a great visit, and then we're on the road again (a little later than I had planned to leave, but oh well!!! I hate cutting visits short!) by about 5 PM...got to Conroe a little after 7 (luckily, Tatum decided to adjust her normally rigid 'I must eat by 6:30' thing she does), so we were doing pretty well. By this point in time, I've already called Judy about the clothing issue, so she's been to virtually every store in Conroe trying to find the "right" clothes for Kellen...and ends up finding some things that we think will work at Wal-Mart. Whew!

Now we're at their house, we try on the new clothes, and we think we have something that will work for him. YAY! I made a few lists of things to take, etc...but it's off to a (somewhat) early bedtime for Kellen. As I'm unpacking the van, I discover that I have all of the necessary bags save for one...mine. So I only have the clothes on my back, none of my medicine, no make up, nada. Sigh. After the kids were in bed, Judy and I took a very quick trip to Old Navy. Bless those folks heart...they stayed open a little after their normal closing time so that I could actually purchase a couple of days worth of clothes.

Today's recap:

Down to the Children's Museum of Houston where they're shooting the video before 7:00 AM (did you know that the Conroe Starbuck's doesn't open until 6:00AM??? and the people are really nice when you catch them at opening time and they aren't ready to actually take your order...just a side note) ...go in, put our stuff down, show the wardrobe lady our selection, have an outfit approved, get a pair of their shoes instead of Kellen's tennis shoes. Then it's a lot of hurry up and wait.

At some point in time this morning, I was handed a script with "Simon" written on it for Kellen, which made me think that he was going to be a principle character. I couldn't really get anyone to definitely confirm that until late this afternoon, though. Surprising really, considering the fact that despite practicing the songs and him really liking them, he WOULDN'T SING OLD MACDONALD FOR ANYTHING!!! All he wanted to do was milk the cow. Yes, the Houston Children's Museum has a cow that you can milk...and water does actually come out of it...as the little girl that Kellen squirted in retribution can attest to. I'm sure that there is going to be a LOT of film end up on the cutting room floor because of that milkable cow.

Anyway...did the Old MacDonald song with the cow scene, them moved on to a chicken scene where again, he wouldn't sing. He did; however, decide to "act" in this one and followed their direction...playing with the stuffed chickens and roosters for the camera. Nice. He even pecked it in the mouth.

Again...a lot of hurry up and wait. And despite what I feel is him being uncooperative, he's apparently thrilling the daylights out of them. Whatever! As the day goes on, I come to realize that we're one of the few children (if not the only child there) that doesn't have an agent. And some of these kids have been going to audition after audition to get "extra" slots. Go Kellen!

Then comes lunch…and let me just say that they fed us very nicely. My only “negative” comment might happen to be that I don’t necessarily consider meatloaf, sautéed grilled chicken, stroganoff, salad, assorted steamed vegetables the best choice for a “kid friendly” lunch.

After lunch we move from the museum to Hermann Park…and shoot in the hot sun in the afternoon. We’re told to let the kids play, but then to not let them get dirty. Wha? Kellen, of course, plays on the railroad tracks and immediately gets black all over his hands, face, and yes…his shirt. Come to find out, they’re about to play in dirt and “plant” flowers, so no biggie!! Despite the heat, he did a really good job at the park, too.

When the park shoot was finished up, we went back to the car and then traveled to the studio. We were told that someone had gone to get some wardrobe items and that they really wanted us to stay until they arrived so that we could do a fitting. So, we hung out there for an hour, only to then be told that they weren’t going to be there by 4 PM, so they let us go ahead and go for the day.

Call time at 12:15 PM on Monday…and they’re planning to shoot until about 9 – that’s what we’re told. If that plan changes, they indicated that we would receive a phone call.

Guess what…I just got that phone call. The call time has been moved from 12:15 PM to 8:30 AM…So, I officially have to go now…we have to make lists for snacks that we’ll need for tomorrow and go to the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment