Thursday, January 27, 2011

My foray into couponing

Well, I mentioned earlier that I was going to try my hand at couponing.

So I tried to 'coupon' this week.  I'm using coupon as a verb and that's intentional.

I'm determined to get this figured out.

But I''m also trying to start small.  Taking manageable bites.

We'll see how I do....

Attempt #1:
Target

Rimmel Mascara - $2.99
--Manufacturer coupon for $2.00 off 1
--Target coupon for $2.00 off 1
Rimmel Eyeshadow - $3.99
--Manufacturer coupon for $2.00 off 1
--Target coupon for $2.00 off 1
Up and Up lotion - $3.84
--Target coupon for $1.00 off 1

Now, I had thought that I would accumulate 'overage' with the stacking of the coupons for items that I could use toward the purchase of the lotion.  This did not happen.  I'm not sure if it was supposed to happen and the guy simply messed up, but it didn't.  He manually adjusted the 'store' coupon to be sure that it was exactly the remaining amount of each of the Rimmel products.  I guess I could have stopped there and walked out with two eye products for nothing, but I was already at the counter with people behind me and just decided to go with it.

Some things that might work in my favor with this are that I'm enough of a girly-girl to know that I need eyeshadow and mascara, but not enough of the girly-girl that I care about the brand.  I hold this opinion in many areas, so perhaps this will serve me well in this coupon adventure.

The total of the items without coupons = $10.82
Amount paid = $3.07
Total saved = $7.98

So to you coupon people 'in the know', did the guy mess up when he adjusted the coupon amount or was I supposed to get some overage in this transaction?  Just wondering for future reference.

How do you think I did?

2 comments:

  1. I always have the same issue with Target, and I was told one of those times that they'll only accept one coupon per item. But I know people do what you just attempted to do with success, so maybe it depends on the person at the check out counter? Either way, good luck. I try to 'coupon' too but need to get better about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Different stores have different policies with regard to that, and it also seems to depend on the cashier sometimes. I've never looked for Target's policy, but you can probably find it somewhere online or email them and ask. I have had Target pay me overage, but it's always been on clearance items that I was using one manufacturer coupon on (i.e. a can of soup for 75 cents that I had a $1 off coupon for) while I was also buying other things, so the overage was "hidden" and not real obvious.

    ReplyDelete