Thursday, December 15, 2005

Sick kiddo

My little man is sick. I hate it when he doesn't feel well! I got the call this afternoon at work - and it's one of my least favorite - throwing up. Apparently there is a stomach virus making its way around daycare and the throwing up lasts for about 12 hours...we're in hour # 7 at this point. He threw up twice at daycare and then once again on the way home...Yup...in the car. I hope I got it cleaned up ok...I didn't go back out to the car and check again once we were situated in the house (what was I thinking??)

Once we were home and situated I tried to get him to drink some Pedialyte - which he had liked before in previous illnesses, but because it wasn't the apple juice, prune juice, or milk he had asked for, he wanted no part of it. What a stubborn kiddo! I later disguised it by just putting it in one of his sippy cups and calling it juice...he drank it right up and asked for more...a couple of times, actually. That made me feel good...so I know that he's hydrated at least a little bit.

He has told me on and off tonight that he's hungry, but I'm only allowing crackers until we figure out what is staying down and what's not. He ate part of a cracker but wasn't too interested - ended up smashing it on the table, so I guess he wasn't as hungry as he made out to be...

We had a discussion about the "bucket" and getting sick in it...haven't tried that out yet but good luck Mommy on that one, I'm sure. He did mention it to me later on, though, after he reminded me that, "Kellen no feel good. Kellen throw up at school and Kellen throw up car, but Kellen throw up bucket, ok?" As I went into slight panic mode, I realized that he wasn't expressing the need to throw up, just reminding me that he understood he was supposed to throw up in the bucket if he needed to do so. Hmm...not so sure that will actually happen though.

We watched Madagascar, Shrek, then Shrek II (he was playing while these were on, so it wasn't as if he was glued to the TV the whole time here...). It was way past bedtime when that last one was over, so I put my foot down when he sweetly asked to watch Aladdin. No sir, buddy boy...It's night-night time. No real complaints; however, when I said that. Change of diaper and of clothes and he actually crawled himself into bed before I even made it into the room! Poor guy! I rearranged some furniture and some of his toys, just in case...and put the bucket right next to his bed...also just in case. You never know, right?

As I tucked him into bed with all of his favorite animals, I inadvertently covered Shrek up with the covers and Kellen didn't realize that he was in the bed. We were saying our prayers and Kellen says, "Excuse me Mommy. Kellen forgot Shrek."

I uncovered Shrek for him and he smiled, "Oh. Ok. Thank you. Where Shrek's eyes?"

I turned Shrek around so that he was facing Kellen and pointed to his eyes. "There they are sweetie. Shrek's eyes are right there."

"Thank you, Mommy."

Unscripted, unprompted...and while he's sick...my little sweetie with the wonderful manners. Wow! I am just so absolutely blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment